Episode 29: Hypocalcemia
Sep 01, 2021
In this episode of the APEX Live Anesthesia podcast, we review the essentials of calcium and the physiologic consequences that occur when this important cation becomes low. We’ll discuss how the body regulates calcium, the signs of hypocalcemia, something called the “Lethal Diamond” and so much more. APEX family…grab a big glass of milk and let’s talk calcium!
What You'll Learn:
- Assess how the body regulates calcium.
- Examine normal calcium values.
- Discuss the physiologic manifestations of acute and chronic hypocalcemia.
- Explain the concept of the “Lethal Diamond”.
- Review effective methods to replace calcium.
Want to Attend an APEX Live Event?
We know that you miss going to live events right now - and we do too!
That's why we decided to pull out all the stops on our APEX Live Virtual CPC Review Course.
By attending virtually, there are no long flights, no rental cars, and no forgetting things at home. You can even show up in your PJs if you'd like!
If you want an engaging review for the NBCRNA CPC Exam, with the flexibility to attend virtually, then you came to the right place.
Our previous events were a blast! Check out the rest of our 2021 dates in the link below.
Click here to learn more.
How Are We Doing?
We’re here to help you improve your practice, and we want to make sure our content is relevant for you.
Click here to share your thoughts.
- Elisha S., Nagelhout J. & Heiner J. Current Anesthesia Practice: Evaluation and Certification Review. 2020. Elsevier, St. Louis MO.
- Nagelhout J. & Elisha S. Nurse Anesthesia. 2018. Elsevier, St. Louis MO.
- Elisha S, Gabot M., & Heiner J. Critical Events in Anesthesia: A Clinical Guide for Nurse Anesthetists. 2012. AANA Publishing, Park Ridge, IL.
- Scott Weingart, MD FCCM. EMCrit 298 – Calcium in Exsanguinating Patients with Ricky Ditzel and Jeffrey Siegler. EMCrit Blog. Published on May 12, 2021. Accessed on June 22nd 2021.
- Ditzel RM Jr, Anderson JL, Eisenhart WJ, et al. A review of transfusion- and trauma-induced hypocalcemia: Is it time to change the lethal triad to the lethal diamond?. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020;88(3):434-439.
- Cap AP, Gurney J, Spinella PC, et al. Damage Control Resuscitation (CPG ID:18). Joint Trauma Service Clinical Practice Guideline. Joint Trauma System, the Department of Defense Center of Excellence for Trauma. 2019.
APEX Anesthesia Review, LLC and APEX Live expressly disclaim any liability in connection with the use of any content in its podcasts, social media posts, and all other published content by any third party.
Podcast music by Eino Toivanen, kongano.com