Episode 3: Hypotension with a Side of Vasoplegic Syndrome
Sep 01, 2019
In this episode of the APEX Live Anesthesia Podcast, we will discuss hypotension and the treatments you can consider when you experience refractory hypotension. We talk about different causes of refractory hypotension with a focus on vasoplegic syndrome, what causes vasoplegic syndrome, and specific treatments for vasoplegic syndrome.
What You'll Learn
- What is the difference between vasoplegic syndrome and refractory hypotension?
- What are causes of refractory hypotension?
- How do you treat refractory hypotension?
- How would you manage vasoplegic syndrome?
Want to Attend an APEX Live Event?
Get everything you need to pass the CPC Assessment while having plenty of time to enjoy your vacation.
Click here to learn more.
How Are We Doing?
We’re here to help you improve your practice, and we want to make sure our content is relevant for you.
Click here to share your thoughts.
- Arevalo VN, Bullerwell ML. Methylene Blue as an adjunct to Treat Vasoplegia in patients undergoing Cardiac Surgery Requiring Cardiopulmonary Bypass: A Literature Review. AANA J. 2018;86(6):455-463.
- Habib MA, Elsherbeny AG, Almehizia RA. Methylene Blue for Vasoplegic Syndrome Postcardiac Surgery. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2018;22(3) 168-173.
- Hosseinian L, Weiner M, Levin M, Fischer G. Methylene Blue: Magic Bullet for Vasoplegia. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2016;122(1):194-201.
- Levy, B, et al. Vasoplegia Treatments: The past, the present and the future. Critical Care. 2018;22(1):52.
- Liu H, Yu L, Yang L, Green MS. Vasoplegic syndrome: An update on perioperative considerations. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia. 2017;40:63-71.
- Shear T, Greenberg S. Vasoplegic Syndrome and Renin Angiotensin System Antagonists. APSF Newsletter.2012.;27(1).
- Williams MD, Russell JA. Terlipressin or Norepinephrine in Septic Shock: Do We Have the Answer? J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11(Suppl 9):S1270–S1273.
APEX Anesthesia Review, LLC and APEX Live expressly disclaim any liability in connection with the use of any content in its podcasts, social media posts, and all other published content by any third party.
Podcast music by Eino Toivanen, kongano.com